Wednesday, February 2, 2011



"The Power of Now"
I've picked up this book multiple times, read the first couple of pages, and put it down.  The language is a turn off, every sentence seems to say the same thing, the author is too enlightened and just babbling off about it.... I had so many excuses as to why I couldn't get through the first few chapters of this book. At the time, I just wasn't ready to hear it.  We listen and hear things at the moment we are ready, and finally I am ready for the book.  
I picked it up again after a trying January- and was amazed that instead of automatically reading a few pages and trading in for another book on my shelf- I couldn't put it down.  All the jargon I had thought was so confusing and unclear before, suddenly made perfect sense.  I began highlighting all of the points that resonated and pretty seem my pages were covered in neon yellow. 
What this book has really taught me is to not get wrapped up in the future.  I have a problem of always being in my head- thoughts constantly zipping in and out, and I sit there and spend much of my time analyzing every thought that enters. 
It's exhausting.
I constantly am planning for future events, thinking about what to do next, looking into my planner to see what things on my "to-do" list I haven't checked off, it feels endless.
"The Power of Now" teaches you to realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have. 
There is never a time when you're life is not "this moment" 
So now, when I find myself traveling beyond the "now" and jumping into "what could be/what might be" in the future, I just take a few slow deep breathes and remind myself that all I ever need is right now in this moment.