Thursday, November 25, 2010

Give thanks

As each day comes to us refreshed and anew, so does my gratitude renew itself daily.  The breaking of the sun over the horizon is my grateful heart dawning upon a blessed world.  ~Terri Guillemets

Happy Thanksgiving!! 
Last night in my yoga class before we began our practice, we took some time to talk about gratitude.  We took turns sharing what we were thankful for and it was beautiful to hear everyone's different answers. 
One woman was thankful for her recent move to Hawaii, another was thankful that she was alive after she had gone through a serious surgery earlier this year, one expressed gratitude for the challenges she had faced recently because of the growth that came with them, and one was thankful for everyone in her life, including us, the people she was practicing yoga with yet didn't even know outside the studio. 
What I felt most thankful for came easy, a strong image of my parents came to mind.  I felt the need to tell every person in class how amazing and special my parents are.  I could take over the class and talk about them for the hour and a half that we were supposing to be practicing yoga- easy! Instead- I quite simply stated that I was thankful for them.  Their never ending love and support, even in times of my extreme indecision about what I want to do and where I want to be, they seem to jump on my path and support what I decide.  My entire heart yearns to be with them today- as I can imagine a fire blazing in the living room, an amazing food aroma filling the house, and the TV set on a football game that no one is really watching because everyone is hanging out in the kitchen.  To whoever is reading- I hope that you celebrate today with loved ones and remember to give thanks not only today, but everyday.