Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Saltwater Buddha

Saltwater Buddha.

I received this from my surf sister/yoga partner Kristin as a Christmas present.  I had seen it many times in the bookstore, picked it up, re-read the back, but never ended up buying it.  
I was stoked she bought it for me but was in between about 3 books and wanted to save it for when I could dedicate all my attention to it.  

A few days back- the island had a PERFECT Sunday.  I couldn't believe my luck with being off on the day that coincided with beautiful weather- (you would think it happens more often here but it doesn't when work is on your schedule 6 days a week)

So I beached it- twice.  I left the first time around lunch because I had forgotten sunscreen and my white skin was reminding me that after months of not laying at the beach, it doesn't like so much exposure.  I thought I was done with the beach for the day, having work later that night I wanted to get some things done around my house.  But I had this magnetic pull to the ocean- this opportunity could not be wasted. 

So I headed back to the beach with sunscreen and the "Saltwater Buddha" book in hand.  For the first time in a long time, I pretty much read the book from first page to last page without stopping ( I did take a wonderful swim in the calm ocean and allowed myself to float for a little bit) but the book was riveting and hilarious.  Jaimal Yogi (the author) blends his personal experiences (he drops out of highschool his junior year to find waves in Maui- to become a real surfer and to find zen- he studies in a monastery thinking he will become a monk, goes to Columbia for journalism when he feels he needs to get a "real job"-..... his experiences are endless and he expresses them with great wit) while adding a TON of with spiritual insight.  

 He made his journey of becoming "zen" through the art of surfing a true adventure and really enjoyable to read.  
 I recommend this book to anyone who has ever caught a wave, no matter how small, even if it is white wash! Because anyone who has knows the incredible feeling of floating on water and the feelings of rush, achievement, calm, stoke, passion, excitement, and determination to catch another one all over again.  
To be honest- this book is so good and insightful,  I believe non-surfers will enjoy it too. I guess I recommend it to anyone :) 
Happy readings!