Friday, August 20, 2010

Soulmates

You don't have to be a romantic to believe in a soulmate.

The idea of a soulmate has been finding me recently... mostly in my readings... but it is interesting to see that my two favorite definitions of a "soulmate" seem to mirror each other a bit.
The first definition comes from a Healing Chakra's book I received from Kat a few weeks back at the beach... and goes something like this..

Soulmate: "A soul whom we have known over many lifetimes and with whom we have much in common in terms of characteristics and goals.  Finding out your soul mate doesn't mean we will always stay with them.  The connection may be extremely deep and wonderful, allowing much to be completed for both partners so that they can move on.  We can have more than one soul mate in a lifetime."

the second definition comes from... who guessed? Eat, Pray, Love...

"People think that your soulmate is your perfect fit, and that's what everyone wants.  But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything thats holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attentions so  you can change your life.  A true soul mate is probably the most important person you will ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake.  Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then they leave."

I didn't have to read both of these definitions to know that I have already had a soulmate in my life, and to realize that in fact, sometimes, they don't stay with you.  But they serve a purpose far beyond one that I could understand at the time.  In between the incredibly trying times of push and pull, miscommunications and misunderstandings, timing that never timed out right, and feelings so heavy that my heart literally felt like it was sinking in my body.... was an amazing connection that I shared with another person.  A connection that will not, can not, be repeated.   A sacred relationship that can't be explained, and doesn't need to.  Worlds apart- with no communication still does not break the connection I feel with this person.

 But as both definitions point out, soulmates move on, they leave.  What's left is a deep reflection of the relationship, an appreciation for their presence in your life, and, for me, sending light and love to my soulmate every time I feel the need.