Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The taste of freedom is so delectable- I inhale it sweetly as we make our way over the Pali Road early yesterday morning.  Sitting in the passenger seat of Hunter's new 1975 VW Bug, windows rolled down, sun roof open, I can't help but grin like a kid in the candy store, so ecstatic for the full day ahead of us. 

Hunter is stoked that, Goldie, (the car) is making it over the Pali while I am stoked that our first stop is Boots & Kimo's for breakfast!   I am intimidated by their famous banana mac nut pancakes with the mac nut sauce (that I hear is part ice cream?) so I stick to the regular banana pancakes... which seemed to confuser our server slightly... (like wait.. you want banana pancakes? no mac nuts? no sauce? just bananas? YES please!)
The pancakes were delicious and the short stack was just what I needed before continuing our drive to North Shore the long & beautiful scenic route along the coast.  

Kaneohe, Waiahole, Kahana Bay, Hau'ula, La'ie, Kahuku, and pretty soon we are passing Turtle Bay.  
Stopping at Sunset for a swim.. I am thinking..
"Hello Heaven... it's been too long."

My fish of a boyfriend jumps straight into the water with no hesitation while I decide I would rather fry on the beach a bit before I take the dive. 
Sharing one towel, (how did we forget to bring another?) I phase in and out of consciousness before I wake up to the painful sensation of the sun literally turning my skin red.
Ok- time to take the dive.
The water is bliss.  We splash around for a bit before we decide to drive to Haleiwa for lunch.

It is here at Wailua Bakery I decide that I could easily run a shop like this- selling smoothies, sandwiches, acai bowls- chatting up with regulars and tourists... selling hand made jewelry and art from local artists. Ya... I could definitely do this..

and connect it to my yoga studio of course. 

From here it's onto Ka'ena Point.  Knowing that the road to Ka'ena is a straight shot from Haleiwa, I ask Hunter if I can drive.  Now, Goldie is an automatic, and it's been about 6 years since I have driven stick, but I decide that this is a perfect time for me to re-learn! 
Hunter looks hesitant, but being a wonderful supportive boyfriend, he pulls over so we can switch seats.    With butterflies in my stomach and nervousness that I am trying to disguise as confidence I get ready to go from neutral to 1st.  
Whoo hooo no stalling here- which seemed to be my problem 6 years ago so I think I am in the clear.  
Well- overall I grade myself a B... no stalls, but I was able to go from 3rd to neutral on accident a couple times (in my defense it's kinda hard to shift when it so easily slips into neutral- and I think I would have done better had I not felt this crazy nervous energy coming from the passenger seat!) 

I eventually pull back over to switch seats and ask as I am buckling back up, "so you're going to let me practice again right?"
"Ya," says Hunter. "We'll go to a parking lot next time." Im not sure if I should be thankful or insulted? 

I don't ponder for long as my happy brain is reminded of the gorgeous day we are having and we reach Ka'ena Point. 


Someone left us some love :)
Already dreading the thought of heading back into town, I begin taking mental pictures of the country- to embed them in my mind till I can revisit again. 
Till my next day off.... 
Aloha nui loa ♥